History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
Published in 1845
On the 9th of March, 1824, an additional law was passed by the town as follows, viz.:
"That from and after the time when this law shall be approved by the Court of Sessions, no horse, horse kind, mule, jack, neat creature, sheep,or swine, shall be suffered to go at large at any season of the year, within one half mile of the Academy, nor within the like distance from any store or tavern, (excepting and reserving in all cases the necessary time for horses, cattle, and sheep to go to water,) on penalty of one dollar for each offence. Provided, however, that any poor person owning a cow, and unable to pay for pasturing the same, may be excepted from the penalty obtaining permission from the Selectmen for such cow to run at large."