History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
In the course of the next season, 1762, seven families were added to the settlement; viz. those of Thomas and Jonathan Edgerly, Samuel Gilman, John Gilman, John Kimball, Joseph Smith, Thomas Taylor, Lemuel Rand, and Ithiel Clifford. Samuel Gilman's was the fifth family which moved into town, and they settled where Capt. Jonathan Brown now lives. These all selected their lots in the lower or first division of 100 acres, in the part of the town next to Barnstead. The Mudgetts settled on the lot No. 3, second range, Smith No. 4, Taylor and Rand, No. 5, the Edgerly's, No. 8, Weed No. 10, in the same range; Kimball selected No. 4, Gilman, No. 8, and Clifford, No. 14, of the third range.

At a meeting of the Proprietors on the 19th of April, it was determined that the first Parish should extend 6 miles and a half on Canterbury line; Joseph Badger, John Gilman, John Dudley, Antipas Gilman and Samuel Gilman were appointed to lay out the surplus land or gore in the first Parish into 100 acre lots, allowing proper highways; to perambulate the lines of the first division of 40 acre lots, new number them and new spot the trees. Also, the said Committee were directed to divide the Masonian shares into lots according to the Quitclaim deed, and to lay out the remainder of the township into 100 acre lots, or so much of it that each Proprietor might have two of them. The Committee were authorized also to select the Minister's right and Parsonage, and School lots in each division, where they may think best. The Committee accordingly proceeded to lay out 12 ranges running parallel with Canterbury line, and extending N.W. from the first Parish line to the Winnipissiogee River, containing 15 lots each range; also 5 ranges of 100 acre lots, (now Gilford,) numbered from 13 to 18, containing 18 lots each range, on the N.E. side of the second division of 40 acre lots, and extending from the 12th range of 100 acre lots to Lake Winnipissiogee. This Committee made their return in 1765, when the report was accepted, and the lots chosen. It was moreover agreed that 20 more of the Proprietors have liberty to choose their lots in the first Parish, by giving bonds of settlement in the same manner as the 40 have done.

The settlement now went rapidly forward. Many settlers commenced operations, and prepared to move their families into town the following season. Jeremiah Conner had cleared some land and built a camp; and Capt. Joseph Badger and his two sons William and Joseph, had put in some seed and erected a Log House. At the close of their labors for the season, the two sons of Capt. Badger above named performed the journey to Haverhill, Ms., the place of their residence, on foot in a single day, a distance of about 60 miles. William however, as was supposed from the fatigues and exposures of the season, lost his health, went into decline, and died the following spring.