History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
At the annual town meeting March 8th, 1792, the town voted to build a bridge over the Winnipissiogee River at Gibson's Falls if the town of Sanbornton would agree to build one half of the same. This proposition was acceded to by Sanbornton, and the bridge from this circumstance was called Union Bridge. At this meeting a Committee of 20 was chosen to take into consideration the appropriation of the School Right in the town to the use of a public Academy. This Committee reported favorable to the object. A particular account of their doings may be found in the Literary History of the town.

A petition was presented from the upper Parish, to be set off into another town. This was referred to a Committee of 12. On request, liberty was given to the people of Gunstock Parish to saw lumber for their Meeting House at the mill of Simon Hoit and Ebenezer Smith, agreeably to the conditions on which said mills were built. It was further agreed that the Congregational people of the upper Parish be taxed the same as the other part of the town, and that they have the liberty to lay our their money for preaching as they may see fit.

On the 13th of November, the town met to cast their votes for Electors of President and for Representatives to Congress. The vote was declared as follows: for Joseph Badger, Esq., Elector, 56; for Thomas Cogswell, Esq., Representative, 49. The widow Seavey was warned out of town by Noah Weeks, constable. Dr. Silver was paid for attendance upon Dennett. Emerson Porter was paid for a barrel of rum for the Bridge. Nathaniel Bachelder was paid for timber used in building the Bridge. Stephen Folsom was paid for work on Union Bridge, and Daniel Evans was paid for boarding his mother. The names on the records of this year for the first time, are Ezekiel French, Aaron Moses, Noah Marsh, Jacob Rundlett, John Wadleigh, Malachi Davis, Daniel Tossey, and Daniel Gookin.