History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
Published in 1845
On the 20th of March, 1807, the following additional rule was adopted by the town in respect to the house of correction, viz. "that any person who may be committed to the house of correction, shall be liable to pay the cost of arrest and commitment, and that after the time of confinement, it shall be the duty of the Superintendent to retain such offender in his custody until the profits of labor shall pay the cost of commitment, the time and the price of labor to be judged of by the Selectmen."
At a meeting of the town on the 26th of May, the Selectmen were authorized to rebuild the Pound, and to build it of stone. The location was changed, and the new Pound was placed a little Southward of William Peaslee's, where it now stands.
The Proprietors, at their meeting, July 1st, 1807, voted that "whereas timber is from time to time cut off from lot No. 10, in the 18th range, and No. 13, in the 7th range, lots reserved for the Ministry in the upper Parish, that, therefore, Joseph Badger, Jr., Benjamin Weeks, and Dudley Prescott, be a Committee to sell those lots and invest the money accruing from the same, so that the interest may be used annually for the Ministry." Daniel Gale, 3d, was by the town appointed Treasurer of this fund. At the same meeting, it was agreed by the Proprietors to sell the privilege at Folsom's Falls, consisting of about 5 acres. The same Committee were authorized to give a deed to the purchasers.