Province Road Meeting house was constructed in 1792. The town meeting was held here in 1796.
Note: The photo to the left was taken from "Reminiscences of a New Hampshire Town" compiled by Wallace Rhodes.
The Province Road Meeting house is by far the oldest church in Belmont predating most church structures in this part of the state. This church was built in 1792 by no particular denomination and undoubtedly was used by several denominations intermittently. As was the style of churches then, it was fitted with box pews and contained a gallery on three sides and a high pulpit. (See Lancaster History-Young Family)
The members adopted the tenets of the Free Will Baptist donomination in 1816 and in 1835 an organization known as The Third Free Will Baptist Meetinghouse Society of Upper Gilmanton was organized. In 1836 the building was cut down to one story and the galleries were taken away. Chimneys were built at the front of the church and box stoves were set in the rear with funnels running the length of the church. In 1844 one acre of land was given to the church for the construction of a parsonage across the street from the church building. In 1851 the church was turned to face the road and in 1854 the pulpit was rebuilt. In 1910 the bell and befrey were donated by members of the Lamprey family.
While at one time an active community with members from at least seventy-five families, the church has now been closed a number of years, but its maintenance is still supervised by an active organization.
Note: The above information was taken from "Reminiscences of a New Hampshire Town" compiled by Wallace Rhodes.
PROVINCE ROAD MEETING HOUSE
1792 - PROVINCE ROAD A/K/A ROUTE 107